Friday, October 19, 2007

Genesis

The directorial process is always something that not only makes the play move forward and grow, but moves you as an artist forward, and helps you to grow. Although this is the first full length piece I have directed since high school, I find myself turning back to methods that I learned and perfected then, in directing class in university, and those used while directing fot the freshmen showcase last year called "Production Too".

The first rehearsals consisted of mainly breaking down the piece so that the actors understood what they had gotten themselves into. Bent is a highly complex piece containing some of the most complex characters I have ever come across... not to mention its subject matter which is rarely discussed, and even more rarely understood.

From there we moved onto blocking. For those of you that don't know what this, it is BASICALLY where the director establishes the visual look of the actors moving on stage. Since this play has some very extensive and complicated blocking we took an entire week to go through all of this. The cast took well to the process and seemed to be very excited about it in general.

Form there we began to run scenes. It eventually came time for the actors to be off book, meaning that they needed to be memorized, both their lines and there blocking. The run through of act one went extremely well, however the run through of act two... not so much, but they are getting there.

At this point we have about twenty rehearsals left until we open and I need everyone off book so that we can really fine tune things and work out the kinks. Although I feel like we are somewhat behind in some places and so far ahead on others, we are in reality right on schedule. I have some truly amazing people working for me. Wow.

No comments: