Wednesday, October 24, 2007

And God said "Let there be light"

So here I am, sitting at the computer pondering away at what exactly I'm supposed to be saying here. Hmmm... think, Meghan, think. What to say?

When Dustin first asked me if I'd be interested in designing lights for his senior thesis last spring, I kinda giggled. Me? Lights? But I don't know anything about lights, Dustin. I'd only ever worked on electrics crew! But I do see the beauty of light design, so that, combined with emense encouragement from a lot of really amazing people, helped me to decide this was a great opportunity that I'd be wise to grab. When I finally read the script through, all my fears came creeping horribly back into my head.
How do you light fear, pain, exhaustion, helplessness, suffering, play, hope, desire, determination, and love all together? Not to mention the myraid of other emotions. When I started to attend rehearsals though, I learned a few things. This show isn't about the lights, but it isn't about the set either, or the actors, or the characters, or even the words. Not to me, anyway. This play is about what we don't see, the people we don't know, because they aren't here anymore.
Millions of people died in Nazi concentration camps years ago. So many in fact, that the exact numbers evades us and we're sometimes guilty of overlooking it. That's what's so amazing about Bent. It shows a group of people, homosexuals, who also suffered through the Holocaust, yet we commonly don't acknowledge them. What makes a Jewish life more valuable than a gay mans in our world today? Why does each group of people have to earn their standing in our world? We've fought for religious freedom, racial freedom, and gender freedom. Even now we still fight for these people. But we shouldn't forget about the people fighting for the right to love.
That's what Bent is to me. It's a play about the people who lost their lives because others believed their love to be wrong. A message that they feel what we feel, gender aside. It's a call to realize Nazi's didn't just kill Jewish people, or Polish people, but so many others as well.

No matter what the lights look like, it doesn't change the history behind the story of Max and Horst.

No comments: